Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Online Content
enthusiast
Hail dark friends,

‘Twas not long ago when your Captain and I set out for the dungeon called Shame to check on the safety of the red mages that dwell there. What we would find in these dark caverns would bring great gladness to the ranks of GUL!

As Jade made her way to levels 2&3 of this dungeon, I concentrated on level one.
The first visitor I came upon was Davon.

[Linked Image from game-master.net]
I immediately noticed that Davon was wearing the blood-drenched scarf which signifies he means the Great Ones no harm, so I greeted this adventurer and asked him how the hunt was going.
After a short conversation, I bid him farewell and set off to the grand foyer at the mouth of the dungeon.
As I entered the foyer, I was greeted with this most interesting sight!
A sign perhaps?
Making my way to the entrance, I met up with Captain Jade, Commander Tanqueray, and Davon. We chatted for a minute before deciding to make another pass through the dungeon.
I stayed behind as Tanq and Jade left for level 2.
After a moments quiet, Master North entered the cave. I let him pass unfettered as he too was donning the sacred garment.
The next visitor to enter was Dexter. Again, and in compliance with the laws that govern these caves, Dexter was allowed to pass undisturbed.
Curious, I followed Dexter back into the foyer. I was pleased to find all but one of the visitors this night in compliance with GUL’s laws.

We issued Dakmor a warning only and presented him with a scarf. We explained that he may hunt the earthen creatures, but he was to steer clear of the mage tower located in the deepest parts of Shame.
Indeed, it doth bring great warmth and gladness to my heart to see so many visitors to these caves willing to demonstrate their reverence for The Great Ones, and respect for GUL and her laws.
How truly odd. The mysterious lighting in this cave seems to form an arrow—an arrow that points to the cave entrance.
Ah! I believe I now understand. The mysterious lighting is not pointing to the cave’s entrance, it is pointing the way to the cave’s exit!
It would seem dear friends, that the Guardians of Undead Lords were successful in securing safe passage for the Mystic Council during their long journey back to the living.

I now believe that our mission is complete and was an utter success. The lich are now rising from the undead as red mages, and I have seen the red mages on the overland as they head to Brittan to take back their rightful place as the first council to Lord British.

It is with mixed feelings that I grant leave to all Guardians so requesting it.
We have accomplished all that we setout to do, and may now go home to our families and loved ones.

The Great Ones are now safe, and it could not have been possible without your efforts.
Captain Jade and I would like to thank all of you for your unrelenting dedication to duty and honor.

Strength and Honor!

Last edited by Adam Ant; 01/01/2022 9:33 PM.
enthusiast
OP Online Content
enthusiast
Out OF Character:

The Adventures of Adam Ant series has seen several good years of production.
The Adventures started back in April 2000, and continued in earnest until mid to late 2002 when Publish 16 was introduced. (You can read about the beginning’s here)

Publish 16 was in many ways responsible for the demise of GUL; the slain were automatically teleported out of the dungeon with all of their belongings, and consequently death lost it’s sting.
Now I won’t try and kid you into believing loot isn’t important to PKs, it is. But the greatest damage from the publish was that the Guardian could no longer demonstrate their honor.

A large part of what made GUL an exceptional guild was member integrity. Guardians would not talk smack and would treat the slain player with dignity. Guardians would often resurrect the player and leave behind much of the player’s belongs. Also, and as a part of strict GUL policy, Guardians would leave behind a red bandanna, a recall rune to town, a recall scroll, and a book explaining GUL’s purpose and laws with respect hunting in the dungeons.

The Publish 16 changes removed from the Guardian any opportunity to demonstrate honor. Respect comes from witnessing honorable actions, especially in a world where less than honorable behavior is the norm. Without this opportunity to demonstrate honor, there was little to distinguish GUL from any other run-of-the-mill murderous red guild.

Am I complaining? No not really. I was disappointed the game took this direction, but I also think it’s unreasonable to assume a 6 year old game isn’t going to evolve.

Mostly though, I am very happy; GUL achieved everything that I had hoped and more.
At our peak we had 80 or so members on two stones, and many more if you count the Guardians on the half a dozen or so other shards.
We never had to recruit, and were very selective. We would toss out those that would put their own needs above the principles of The Guardian.

The greater message that GUL sent to Origin Systems—and any other MMORPGs that happened to be listening—was that Evil has a Place in online gaming.
I don’t mean a contrived evil like that from the mind of some game developer, but a type of evil that can only be borne of an organized group of individuals to accomplish some common goal.

So is this it for Adam Ant and GUL?
No, but it is time to close this chapter of our history.
The Adventures of Adam Ant, Episodes 1-100, are now complete and chronicle Adam’s first 2 years in GUL.

Adam is currently living in Wind and has reportedly taken up the study of Necromancy from his father, Kahn. It is not yet known why he’s taken up these black arts and what he plans on doing with them. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Link Copied to Clipboard